Published: 22/10/2020The government has put in place a three-tier system with different parts of the country being put in different categories depending on infection rates.
So what does this mean for estate agents?
Estate agents remain open and physical property viewings are permitted although virtual viewings are encouraged before personal visits to minimise public health risks.
London is currently subject to Tier 2 (high alert) restrictions. In relation to estate agents, these are:
1. Follow the Tier 1 (medium alert) rules:
- businesses can continue to operate in a Covid secure way
- property viewings are allowed provided social distancing measures are followed at all times
- social distancing measures include wearing face coverings, regular hand washing and use of sanitiser, staying 2 metres apart, keeping internal doors open during viewings, avoiding touching surfaces where possible
- only two households can be in the property at one time (which includes the agent) but two people in a support bubble with each other will count as part of one household
- no viewings where any party is showing Covid symptoms or has been asked to self-isolate
- open house viewings are not permitted
2. Specific to Tier 2:
- meeting anyone outside your household or support bubble in an indoor setting is not allowed but in-person property viewings can still take place with appropriate precautions
- no meeting in groups of more than 6 outdoors